Sunday, October 4, 2009

Calendar Cover Design Done

At the Collage Stuff yahoo group, we're doing hand-made calendars. We have two calendars going. Here is the cover for one of the calendars! I'm always happy to get a design done.

The calendars are 4" x 6" and will be bound at the top. I like this size. It's not too big. I get intimidated by a large blank canvas.

The background is my usual. It starts out with a vintage book page. I used the Collage Stuff "Stylish Background" stamp with "Dusty Concord" Distress Ink. I stamped it around randomly covering the text. I dotted on some gold paint with a Ranger gold paint dabber and smooshed it around with my hands. Before the gold paint was totally dry, I added some "Fresco Cream' Golden Glaze and smooshed it all over with my hands. This diluted the gold and spread it around all over the text. I over stamped this when it was dry with the same stamp and the concord ink. I needed to bring some pink in, so I put some "Magenta" liquid watercolor on a paper towel and dabbed this around.

The black text and checks are Seven Gypsies Etchings Rub-ons. These are discontinued Seven Gypsies products, but I was able to order them at the Summer CHA show. I love them. I put them around randomly. They didn't want to stick to the paint very well. They would do better if the paint was drier, I think.

At the top and bottom of the page, I used one of my all time favorite art things, drywall tape. You can buy this at any home improvement store. I cut it in half lengthwise and painted it with the gold paint dabber. I also dabbed on a little of the magenta liquid watercolor.

The butterfly wings are from the Catnip Designs "Wings and Things" collage sheet (available ONLY at Collage Stuff). The woman's face (my favorite woman's face) is from the Collage Stuff "Fabulous Faces" collage sheet. I glued them down next and smooshed a little of the "Fresco Cream" glaze over them to dull them down just a bit. I added four 2mm Amethyst Swarovsky crystals to the wings. I glued down a large gold Paris clock button.

The bottom needed something and I thought of ribbon. I found this black and white ribbon in my stash. I like this as it is another graphic element that compliments the black rub-ons. I glued down the ribbon, tied a little ribbon bow and glued the bow on.

I generated the words at the Acme Labelmaker website and glued them down. I went around the edges of the page with a black ink pad.

This one, the prototype and model, will be my cover for my calendar. I have to make 12 more. When I have to make multiples of something, inevitably, they change a little as I go on. I need to finish the back. I'll glue down some vintage text and probably generate a digital image with my contact info and some butterflies to put on the text.

One more cover to design - next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment